Hey new friend, welcome to NOMADasaurus!
Make life an adventure…
Welcome to NOMADasaurus – Australia’s top adventure travel blog, run by the married couple, professional photographers, freelance writers and full-time travellers Alesha Bradford and Jarryd Salem.
Talking in the third person isn’t much fun. Hi, we’re Lesh and Jazza, and we’ve been exploring the world together since 2008!
After meeting in Vancouver we travelled Canada living out of a van for a few years, wandered aimlessly around Central America by land (and sea) for a while, then decided to fly to the other side of the world again to see what wonders lay in Asia.
Five years into our travels we decided to start this blog to document our experiences and show others how they could take on a life of travel as well. Three years later we are very proud to say we have grown this site to be one of the most influential blogs on the internet and turned NOMADasaurus into a global media brand.
We believe that there is no right or wrong way to travel. Everyone has their own style, desires and goals when they decide to travel the world. It doesn’t matter if you are into adventure, luxury, budget, backpacking, cruising, culture, history or off-the-beaten-path experiences – all that matters is that you take that first step to see what the world has to offer.
Our goal is to encourage you to get out of your comfort zone, do things that you’ve always wanted to do and visit places that you’ve always dreamed of. Book a flight, figure out how to earn money as you go, and most of all make your life an adventure.
From death-defying adventures to luxury retreats and everything in between, we’ve experienced it all on the road, and our lives are all the better for it. Let us show you how you can turn your life into the dream you’ve always wanted.
If you are looking for some tips and ideas on how to start travelling, check out our Travel Resources page.
Adventure travel is our biggest passion, and we have completed some crazy journeys in our time! Many are from before we started this travel blog, and as such we haven’t got around to writing about them yet. But don’t worry, one day we’ll write up the details of all our adventures! Perhaps in a book? Stay tuned!
Here’s a list of some of our favourite adventures so far:
- Crossing from Thailand to Turkey overland, without taking a single flight, over two years.
- Hitchhiking for 6 weeks on a catamaran to explore Central America and the Caribbean.
- Living in a van and driving from Vancouver to Newfoundland, and then back again.
- Hitchhiking to visit a Pacific First Nations reserve and receiving permission from the village chief to be tattooed, north of Vancouver Island.
- Jungle trekking and camping to explore El Mirador, the largest Mayan city in the world.
- Hitchhiking around Tibet, camping in Buddhist monasteries as we went.
- Being invited by locals to witness a Tibetan sky burial.
- Getting a sacred tattoo from a Buddhist monk in Thailand.
- Riding 15’000km around Southeast Asia on two motorbikes.
- Camping on the Great Wall of China.
- Visiting the Tsaatan reindeer herders in Northern Mongolia, camping and sleeping in teepees and riding horses through a remote part of the country.
- Hitchhiking across Northern Mongolia for 7 days.
- Trekking the Karakoram Highway on the border of China and Pakistan, sleeping in shepherd’s houses along the way.
- Driving the Pamir Highway on the border of Tajikistan and Afghanistan.
- Camping next to the Darvaza Gas Crater in Turkmenistan (otherwise known as the “Doorway to Hell”).
- Taking a cargo ship from Turkmenistan to Azerbaijan (96 hours stuck on a boat).
- Cave diving in Mexico.
- Completing the “World’s Most Dangerous Hike” in China.
When we started this travel blog in 2014, the most we knew about cameras was that if you push that little button on top it would (hopefully) take a picture.
Two years later we are now self-taught professional travel photographers, and have had our images featured in CNN, BBC, The Guardian, News.com.au, Afar, BuzzFeed and a whole range of other massive media outlets.
Click here to see our photography portfolio.
We have been travelling together as a couple since 2008, and have since become completely infatuated with each other and this life of travel.
We believe travelling the world is one of the greatest experiences anyone can give themselves, and as such we promote it heavily.
Our goal is to inspire you to quit your job, buy a plane ticket and go exploring!
Our Best Travel Tips
You don’t travel full-time around the world for 8 years without picking up a few travel tips.
We have made many mistakes in the past on what to pack, what not to pack, how to react to certain situations, etc. As time goes on we aim to write as many articles as possible to help with your own travel adventures.
Join Us On Our Epic Journey
If you are digging what we are up to make sure you bookmark our website and signup for our newsletter. We live full-time on the road, working as travel bloggers to sustain our permanent nomadic lifestyle.
After two years crossing Asia by land our plans have changed a bit and we are now moving a lot faster and to a lot more crazier locations. Best way to keep up with our adventures is on our social media channels!
Interested in working with us? Check out our “Work With Us” page.
Hopefully we get to bump into you somewhere on the road! Thanks very much, and happy travels!
Love from Alesha and Jarryd