Welcome to NOMADasaurus – Australia’s top adventure travel blog, run by the married couple, professional photographers, content creators and full-time travellers Alesha Bradford and Jarryd Salem.
Talking in the third person isn’t much fun, so we’re going to stop now. Hi, we’re Lesh and Jazza, and we’ve been exploring the world together since 2008! You can read more about us on our about page.
After meeting in a hostel bar in Vancouver, we travelled Canada living out of a van for a few years, wandered aimlessly around Central America by land (and sea) for a while, then decided to fly to the other side of the world again to see what wonders lay in Asia.
Five years into our travels we decided to start this blog to document our experiences and show others how they could enjoy a life of travel as well. That was at the end of 2013, and today we are very proud to say we have grown this site to be one of the largest travel blogs on the internet, launched a digital marketing company, started running tours in Central Asia and turned NOMADasaurus into a global media brand.
We believe that there is no right or wrong way to travel. Everyone has their own style, desires and goals when they decide to travel the world. It doesn’t matter if you are into adventure, luxury, backpacking, cruising, culture, history or off-the-beaten-path experiences – all that matters is that you take that first step to see what the world has to offer.
Our goal is to encourage you to get out of your comfort zone, do things that you’ve always wanted to do and visit places that you’ve always dreamed of. Book a flight, figure out how to earn money as you go, and most of all make your life an adventure.
What You’ll Find on the NOMADasaurus Site
When we first started NOMADasaurus it was just a simple travel blog, where twice a week we’d publish blog posts about our experiences in Southeast Asia, sharing our travel tips or getting deep in the odd inspirational narrative.
Over the years though this site has developed into more of a complete travel publication, where us and our team put together some of the best, most in-depth travel guides from over one hundred different countries and all seven continents on the net.
Besides the travel guides, we also discuss sustainability, photography tips, gear reviews, lifestyle advice, special travel deals and the best adventures from around the world.
We strive to always be improving our content, and put a heavy focus on imagery and video production from the places we visit as well. If you want to see more of this, make sure you subscribe to us on YouTube and follow us on Instagram.
Here’s a collection of some of our favourite blog posts in a variety of different topics, including adventure travel, photography, travel tips and more.
In 2017 we realised that even though we had filmed thousands of hours of video, we had never really done anything with all that content. So we decided to change that.
We decided to start as semi-regular travel vlog to publish on YouTube. We don’t vlog every day, because to be honest we can’t be bothered, but over the years we’ve really enjoyed making travel videos and sharing them with the world.
Check out some of our favourite travel vlogs.
Adventure travel is our biggest passion, and we have completed some crazy journeys in our time! Many are from before we started this travel blog, and as such we haven’t got around to writing about them yet.
But don’t worry, one day we’ll write up the details of all our adventures! Perhaps in a book? Stay tuned!
Here’s a list of some of our favourite adventures so far:
- Crossing from Thailand to Turkey overland, without taking a single flight, over two years.
- Hitchhiking for 6 weeks on a catamaran to explore Central America and the Caribbean.
- Living in a van and driving from Vancouver to Newfoundland, and then back again.
- Hitchhiking to visit a Pacific First Nations reserve and receiving permission from the village chief to be tattooed, north of Vancouver Island.
- 5 days trekking through a remote Guatemalan jungle to explore El Mirador, the largest Mayan city in the world.
- Hitchhiking around Tibet, camping in Buddhist monasteries as we went.
- Being invited by locals to witness a Tibetan sky burial.
- Getting 2 sacred tattoos from a Buddhist monk in Thailand.
- Riding 15’000km around Southeast Asia on two motorbikes.
- Visiting the Tsaatan reindeer herders in Northern Mongolia, camping and sleeping in teepees and riding horses through a remote part of the country.
- Hitchhiking across Northern Mongolia for 7 days.
- Trekking the Karakoram Highway on the border of China and Pakistan, sleeping in shepherd’s houses along the way.
- Driving the Pamir Highway on the border of Tajikistan and Afghanistan.
- Camping next to the Darvaza Gas Crater in Turkmenistan (otherwise known as the “Doorway to Hell”).
- Taking a cargo ship from Turkmenistan to Azerbaijan (96 hours stuck on a boat).
- Cave diving in Mexico.
- Completing the “World’s Most Dangerous Hike” in China.
- Travelling to Antarctica onboard a Russian research vessel.
- Spending 7 days on Easter Island after booking last-minute flights during a heavy drinking session with a guy in Argentina.
- Mapping out a brand new hiking trail in Kyrgyzstan. Literally us, our friends, some local horseman, a topographical map and a few cans of red paint. You can now do this trek yourself if you want, and it’s one of the most popular hikes in eastern Kyrgyzstan!
- Trekking for 8 days completing the O-Circuit of Torres del Paine National Park. Our highlight of all our time hiking in Patagonia!
- Driving a campervan around the Atacama Desert.
- Driving a campervan around the Atacama Desert.
- Hanging out with hundreds of thousands of king penguins in South Georgia near Antarctica.
Here’s a list of some of the best adventure travel articles live on our website. You can read more here.
Everything you need to know about the Jyrgalan trek, known as the Boz Uchuk trek, found in the newest adventure destination in…
A detailed guide on everything you need to know about the brand new Keskenkija Loop Trek in the Jyrgalan Valley in Kyrgyzstan,…
Everything you need to know about travelling the Pamir Highway in Tajikistan. A detailed travel itinerary, how to book a car and…
Everything you need to know about the Mount Huashan hike, better known as the ‘world’s most dangerous hike’, or the ‘plank walk’,…
When we started this travel blog in 2013, the most we knew about cameras was that if you push that little button on top it would (hopefully) take a picture.
Today we are self-taught professional travel photographers, and have had our images featured in CNN, BBC, The Guardian, News.com.au, Lonely Planet, Afar, BuzzFeed and a whole range of other massive media outlets.
We also offer commercial photography services and have been commissioned by some of the world’s leading brands to capture images for them. You can read more about this on our Work With Us page.
For those that are interested, we now run adventure and photography tours in Central Asia.
Photography has become a passion of ours, and we are always trying to improve our skills. Because of that a big focus of our website is now aimed at inspiring and teaching other people to get into travel photography.
Here’s some of our top travel photography articles.
We cut out all the guess work and tell you the best camera for travel photography as part of our Ultimate Photography…
The ultimate GoPro HERO8 review, detailing the newest features, settings and upgrades on this brand new action sports camera. Is the GoPro…
Whether you’re into action, adventure or travel photography, here is what you need to know on how to take awesome GoPro photos!…
After months of testing to see if this is the ultimate action camera on the market, here’s my complete GoPro Hero7 Black…
Here are our favourite travel photography tips for beginners, based on our experience of going from complete beginners to professional travel photographers,…
Our Best Travel Resources
You don’t travel full-time around the world for over a decade without picking up a few travel tips as you go.
We have made many mistakes in the past on what to pack, what not to pack, how to react to certain situations, etc.
As time goes on we aim to write as many articles as possible to help with your own travel adventures.
Here’s some of our best travel tips and resources to help you on your next big adventure.
There is no doubt that Southeast Asia is a hot spot for Aussies. Places like Bali, Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur attract…
From bartending to blogging, here are some of the best travel jobs to make money while travelling the world! It was 2005…
Own a home and want to travel? Leverage your homeownership to give yourself the freedom to fund your next trip and learn…
Congratulations, you’ve decided you want to know how to start a travel blog! Let us be the first to welcome you to…
We have been travelling together as a couple since 2008, and have since become completely infatuated with each other and this life of travel.
We believe travelling the world is one of the greatest experiences anyone can give themselves, and as such we promote it heavily.
Our goal is to inspire you to quit your job, buy a plane ticket and go exploring!
Here’s some of our inspirational, honest and hilarious posts from the last decade on the road.
When we started our current adventure of travelling overland from Thailand to South Africa without flying, we thought it would take three…
“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the…
Join Us On Our Epic Journey
If you are digging what we are up to make sure you bookmark our website and signup for our newsletter. We live full-time on the road, working as travel bloggers and content creators to sustain our permanent nomadic lifestyle.
It’s been a crazy journey since we first started travelling as ski bums in Canada. From broke backpackers to professional travellers, we’re excited to see where the next decade will take us.
The best way to keep up with our movements is on social media, where we share our experiences almost daily.
Interested in working with us? Check out our “Work With Us” page.
Hopefully we get to bump into you somewhere on the road! Thanks very much, and happy travels!
Love from Alesha and Jarryd