New Zealand is truly the land of the Long White Cloud with a vast contrast between the epic coastlines of the Otago Peninsula to the summit of Aoraki Mount Cook.
There are basically 3 options to choose from, being the North Island, South Island or that little island called Stewart Island. Whichever you choose, you won’t be let down.
Fancy a thermal river? Then head to the North Island’s Rotorua or if you prefer snowy mountains, Queenstown is the place to go!
If none of this fancies you then why not head to the Bay of Islands only a short drive from Auckland to take in some sunshine and fresh oysters followed by a trip to the top of New Zealand, Cape Reinga.
New Zealand is probably the most surprising country you can visit as it is jam-packed full of adventure, landscapes and friendly locals. Do yourself a favour and get there ASAP!
New Zealand Travel Guide
Once you start planning to travel to New Zealand, you’re in for a wild ride! Here’s our New Zealand travel guide to get you caught up on the basics of this amazing country.
Here’s all the general info you’ll need to get started on your travels in New Zealand.
- Capital: Wellington
- Other Cties: Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch
- Currency: New Zealand Dollar
- Language: English, Maori
- Population: 4,695,000
- Area: 265,150 sq. km
5 Interesting Facts About New Zealand
Wow all your friends with these interesting facts about New Zealand.
- New Zealand seafood and beer are some of the best in the world! Stewart Island is famous for Blue Eyed Cod while The Bay of Islands has a variety of oysters to indulge in.
- Aoraki Mount Cook stands at a whopping 3,764 metres above sea level!
- Lake Taupo is bigger than Singapore!
- Queenstown is the adrenaline capital of the world!
- A kiwi lad by the name of Brando Yelavich was the first person to walk around the coast of both islands! It took him nearly 2 years and 4,000 kilometres!
Best Time To Travel To New Zealand
These are the best times to travel to New Zealand:
- October – February for those perfect summer days.
- June – September for all things snow.
Top 5 Places To Visit In New Zealand
Don’t miss out on these epic places to visit in New Zealand on your next trip.
- Otago Peninsula is located only a short drive from Dunedin and is my number 1 pick by far. Rolling green hills clash with the Pacific Ocean while seals and penguins bath in the morning sun.
- Aoraki National Park is a place of dreams complete with New Zealand’s highest peak, Mount Cook soaring to over 3,700 metres.
- Tongariro Crossing is one of the most popular day treks in the North Island where you see scenes from the famous Mordor and Mount Doom from the Lord of the Rings.
- Mount Aspiring National Park is honestly the most beautiful place to sit back and just stare at mountains for hours on end. Options here include a hike to Rob Roy Glacier or further onto French’s Ridge hut for those adventurous souls.
- Milford Sound. No visit to the South Island is ever complete without cruising on a boat through the Milford Sound. Waterfalls cascade in the fjord below as dolphins play in the crystal clear waters.
Top 5 Experiences In New Zealand
If you love adventure, these are the best experiences in the country.
- Cruising on a boat in the stunning Milford Sound is something already mentioned but it is a MUST!
- Hooker Valley walk at Aoraki National Park is basically like walking in a piece of paradise. To your left will be snowcapped peaks and to your left will be snowcapped peaks. At the end of the trail lays Hooker Valley Lake full of icebergs and epic views of Mount Cook.
- Star gazing at Lake Tekapo is remarkable due to limited light pollution. Opt for a summer’s night out to enjoy the Southern Hemispheres spectacular stars!
- Snowboarding or skiing The Remarkables high above Queenstown is every snow enthusiasts dream! So get prepared to shred and smash some freshly fallen pow!
- Wildlife watching on the Otago Peninsula can be done at any time of the year where penguins, seals and albatrosses can be seen in their natural environment.
Read Our New Zealand Posts
Everything you need to know about hiking in New Zealand, in our ultimate trekking guide. Tramping and trekking in New Zealand is…
From jet boating and skydiving to going on a Lord of the Rings tour, these are just some of best things to do…
From rapids and canoeing to experiencing untamed nature firsthand these are just some of the things you’ll experience on your Whanganui Journey In…
As cliched as it might sound, New Zealand is a winter wonderland. There are so many things you can during New Zealand’s…
From bungy jumping where it all began to driving to Paradise, literally, these are 17 of the most epic things to do…
Going on an overnight Milford Sound cruise with Real Journeys was one of the best experiences during our whole time in New…
One of the best adventures you can have in New Zealand – Doing a 2-day trip camping and kayaking in Doubtful Sound!…
Our experience exploring one of the most beautiful coastal destinations in the world was phenomenal. This is what it’s like to spend…
From hiking on one of the biggest glaciers in the country, to seeking out secret little waterfalls, there’s no shortage of awesome…
Launching the brand new GoPro HERO7 Black Dusk White limited edition camera by going on an international trip to a secret location……
From kitesurfing to dam dropping, here are 5 of the best adventure activities in Taranaki, New Zealand. On the west coast of…