Nepal is a landlocked country with India to the south and China (Tibet) to the north.
Nepal appears to be small on the world map but I can tell you for sure that Nepal lays host to some of the biggest mountains, rivers and cities in the world.
The Himalaya Range runs through the northern part of Nepal where mountains such as Mount Everest and Ama Dablam pierce the skies above while the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu and Pokhara forever thrives with monkey temples, street food and the welcoming smiles of the Nepali locals.
In the lower parts of Nepal, particularly those sections bordering with India, elephants, rhinos and tigers can be seen roaming the jungles and grasslands of Chitwan National Park.
Culturally, Nepal is so rich with both Buddhism and Hinduism being engrained into the sides of mountains with ancient monasteries, prayer wheels and Mani walls around every corner you take.
From the restaurants of Kathmandu to the teahouses of the Upper Mustang, Nepalese food is quite unlike anything you’ve had with variations of Daal Bhat (lentils and rice), Tibetan bread to Nepali momo’s…the food is unexpectedly awesome!
Do yourself a favor and get to Nepal! Not everyone goes to Nepal to climb Mount Everest but some go to experience a flight into the world’s scariest airport at Lukla or to visit the lush valleys of The Annapurna Circuit.
Nepal literally has it all!
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Other cities: Pokhara, Namche Bazaar
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee
- Language: Nepali
- Population: 29 million
- Area: 141,415 sq. km
5 Interesting Facts About Nepal
- Nepal is home to the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest (8,848 metres)
- Every year, the Tihar Festival celebrates both dogs and cows
- You can literally paraglide off a mountain in Pokhara!
- Machhapuchhare is forbidden to climbers as it is said to be sacred to the god, Shiva.
- Language dialects change the further you stray from the streets of Kathmandu
Best Time To Travel To Nepal
Himalaya – June to November
Pokhara – October to April
Kathmandu – September to April
Chitwan National Park – October to March
Top 5 Places To Visit In Nepal
- Pokhara is the 2nd largest city in Nepal with outstanding views of The Himalaya while Lake Phewa provides ideal for a traditional boat ride to the World Peace Pagoda.
- Lomanthang would be one of the most remote locations in Nepal situated 30 kilometres from the border of Tibet. Lomanthang is rich in Tibetan culture and is much unlike any other place in Nepal.
- The Annapurna’s are literally what hiking dreams are made from. The Annapurna circuit is listed as one of the most popular and stunning hikes in the world and it truly is!
- Ama Dablam is a mountain located in the Khumbu region of Nepal. Soaring to 6,812 metres, Ama Dablam is visible while trekking to Everest Base Camp, so why not take a detour and opt for a summit attempt of this famous mountain.
- Advanced Base Camp. No trip to Nepal is complete without a visit to either Everest Base Camp or Advanced Base Camp. Here you will get a fix for the mountains all while questioning whether you can take on Everest.
Top 5 Adventures In Nepal
- The classic Everest Base Camp trek is on most people’s list of things to do before you die and why not hike in a stunning location like this!
- Trekking from Kagbeni to Lomanthang in the Upper Mustang is ideal if you want to get off the beaten track and experience the rain shadowed region of Nepal.
- Elephant spotting in Chitwan National Park occurs in the flatter parts of Nepal near the border of India. Seeing elephants in the wild is amazing!
- Sunrise from Poon Hill, Pokhara is possibly the most breathtaking spot to witness the sun rise over the Himalaya. Look out for a thing called ‘Alpen glow’ best seen just before the sun pops over the mountains.
- Walking the backstreets of Kathmandu to the Swayambhunath Temple to witness flocks of pigeons fly in and out of ancient buildings as early morning aromas waft from Kathmandu’s most famous temple.
Read Our Nepal Posts
Hiking the Annapurna Circuit trek is as challenging as it is beautiful. It is arguably still one of the best treks in the world which sees…
The most comprehensive hiking guide on the internet for trekking in Nepal. Nepal is known globally for its picturesque mountains. Especially known to most is…
There are so many amazing places to visit in Kathmandu, and after multiple trips to Nepal’s fascinating capital, I’ve put together this epic list to…
Everything you need to know about what it’s like to hike Nepal’s Poon Hill trek. Nepal is arguably the best trekking destination on the planet,…
Everything you need to know about Swayambhunath Stupa, better known as Kathmandu’s Monkey Temple. Swayambhunath Stupa An important pilgrimage site for Buddhists and Hindus, the…
Travelling is supposed to be fun, and it usually is. But, with any great adventure there’s always a risk. There are simply certain things out…
Banged Up Abroad – Prison In Nepal [box type=”info” size=”large” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Click here to read part two of Clive’s story of his time spent in…
[box type=”info” size=”large” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Click here to read part one of Clive’s story of his time spent in a prison in Nepal. Click here to…
Banged Up Abroad – Prison In Nepal It was a cold and seemingly uneventful night in the Nepalese capital Kathmandu. The cold had left us…